Investment Lawyers & Investment Fraud Lawyers
If you believe you have been the victim of investment fraud or other wrongdoing involving an investment, you need an experienced investment lawyer to fight for you and get you the results you need. Let the investment fraud lawyers at Kurta Law help you recover your losses and return your financial peace of mind today.
What Does an Investment Lawyer Do?
Kurta Law investment lawyers provide expertise on the following areas:
- Brokerage Firm Misconduct: Our investment lawyers investigate risky investment products and identify which securities laws your brokerage firm may have violated by allowing their brokers to recommend high-risk securities.
- FINRA Arbitration: If you lost money working with a broker, arbitration is probably your only recourse. Arbitration is very different from a civil suit. Our attorneys will guide you every step of the way and help you secure a fair settlement as quickly as possible.
- FINRA Mediation: Not every case will require arbitration. Mediation is a simpler process than arbitration and can help you settle your dispute faster than arbitration.
What Is a Financial Investment?
A financial investment is a financial tool that an investor purchases with the expectation of profit based on the efforts of others. It can be as simple as opening a savings account and earning interest or buying a stock and expecting to sell it at a higher price in the future.
When making any type of financial investment, it’s important to remember there are risks associated with that activity, and the risks can vary depending on what type of investment you choose. You should always contact an investment lawyer if your losses exceeded expectations.
Types of Financial Investments
Financial investments can come in many different forms, ranging from physical real estate to the latest investment market of digital currency.
Some types of investments include:
- Real Estate. You can buy real estate directly through an agent or broker, or you can buy shares in a real estate investment trust (REIT).
- Stocks. Buying a stock gives you part ownership in that company and you receive a percentage of the company’s profits based on how much stock you own.
- Bonds. When you buy a bond, you are loaning that money to the government or private business in return for receiving that money back plus a fixed interest rate at a specific future date.
- Commodities. A commodity is an item, such as oil, gold, or grain, that an individual can buy and sell, often using future contracts with prices set by market standards.
- Retirement plans. Roth IRAs and 401ks should be managed carefully so they can fulfill their intended purpose, providing tax incentives and reliable retirement savings for many years.
- Mutual funds. A mutual fund involves multiple investors collectively buying stock in a large number of companies.
- Cryptocurrencies. The latest type of investment to hit the financial market, cryptocurrencies are still considered an unknown by many investors and very risky. Their value can fluctuate wildly.
What Are Some Investment Issues That May Require an Investment Lawyer?
Investment lawyers are typically called on to handle many different types of legal issues related to investments. Most of them are tied to a dispute over an investment or a violation of related laws.
Some examples of issues that may require the help of an investment lawyer include:
- Breach of fiduciary duties by a financial advisor. Any professional who manages your investment portfolio in any way has specific duties guiding how they should handle your money and investments.
- Inability to access funds. A trustee may refuse to allow you as a beneficiary to access trust funds according to the trust’s specified conditions.
- Failure to disclose information. A broker or advisor must share specific pieces of information to potential investors before a purchase is made.
- Foreign investments. Any transactions involving foreign investments are more likely to involve complicated and confusing legal questions because both U.S. and international financial regulations are involved.
What Are the Legal Consequences Associated with Investment Law Violations?
There are a number of legal consequences that can result from a financial investment violation. Some common penalties associated with investment violations include:
- Monetary damages and legal costs
- Punitive damages
- Criminal charges
Why Do I Need an Experienced Investment Lawyer?
If you believe an investment professional committed fraud or you are involved in any dispute involving investments, you need to consult with an investment lawyer today. An experienced investment fraud lawyer can help you understand your rights and options to seek justice and recover any lost funds.